Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Unexpected VIP Guest

We keep an alms can on our kitchen windowsill. Beggars frequently knock on our door, asking for money. Throughout the years, we have learned to tell the difference between the truly needy and the con artists or ‘professionals.’ However, not wanting to be found in the position of ‘judge’, we usually give these folks the benefit of the doubt.

This morning at 6am, my husband spotted two Gypsy women in a cold, drizzling rain, gathering stones in the meadow in front of our home and putting them into bags. Why in the world they would want these, I have no idea. At 11am they were still hunched over, working in the rain and my heart went out to them. My daughter and I put a pot of tea on for them and prepared some boiled eggs, goat cheese, bread, olives and apples for them. While doing so, the mother knocked on our door. Upon opening it, she stood before me drenched. She asked us to show mercy on her daughter and give them some bread. She didn’t ask for money (an unusual occurrence). This was further confirmation that the Lord had, indeed, laid it on my heart to help her. When we set the tea before them, their faces lit up with joy. This was a wonderful moment for my young daughter. I don’t think she will ever forget this particular time she fed the Master with her own hands.

“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?”

…And the King will answer and say to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” Matt.25: 37,40

0 comments:

Post a Comment