Saturday, June 10, 2006

Turkish Cuisine: Mucver


This Turkish recipe is a family favorite. It is quick and easy and tastes soooo good! You should not substitute the cheese for another. Feta is what gives its distinctive taste.

MUCVER *pronounced 'moojvare'
(Squash Fritters)


2 medium zucchini squash grated
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped dill or parsley (I recommend dill)
4 eggs
1 cup of flour
½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper
olive oil (or other oil)

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet (use just enough to coat the bottom). Mix all other ingredients together. Drop squash batter by tablespoonful into the hot oil and cook on medium high(something like dollar size pancakes). Turn once after 2-3 minutes when light brown. Drain on a paper towel. Add more oil while frying if necessary. Serve with plain yoghurt. Enjoy!

*Note: Our cheese is very salty so we do not add salt to the recipe. Taste your feta and add salt accordingly.

Again, if anyone makes this and takes a picture, we would love to post the pic above this recipe with your name or blog credit.

1 comment:

  1. previous commentors3.1.07

    June 10, 2006 - Awsome

    Posted by Canadagirl

    I can't wait to try this! But I will have to wait , we don't have zucchini yet. )0: I love this sort of thing. Have you made Lautka's ( I don't quite how to spell it ) they are shredded potatoes and it has flour, eggs in it. It is a Jewish shredded potato pancake. My husband always has to make them around Christmas because of his Jewish back ground, he is a christian. I also make a pastry that is called a Kanish. ( I guess I will have to share them on my blog closer to Christmas.(0; Thank you for posting a receipe with no tomatoes, so I can make it too. (0:
    In Him,
    -Canadagirl

    • Permanent Link

    June 10, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by lindafay

    Canada girl, you are welcome.

    Yes, we do make Jewish Latkas and really like them! I haven't heard of the other recipe, however.

    I need to pop on over and visit your blog today...

    • Permanent Link

    June 10, 2006 - Question

    Posted by Canadagirl

    Can you use frozen squash thats been thawed ? I have some of that. (0: I am always looking for ways to use zucchinni that I freeze for the winter. (0;
    If you came by I missed you. (0;
    In Him,
    -Canadagirl

    • Permanent Link

    June 11, 2006 - Different ? on a different subject.

    Posted by Canadagirl

    How did you customise you web site? How did you teach yourself? I would love to get the books or go to some sites that are real good at showing you how. Thanks for your time.
    In Him,
    -Canadagirl

    • Permanent Link

    June 12, 2006 - Recipe

    Posted by Anonymous

    The zucchini squash recipe was excellent. They are fairly easy and delicious. Thanks so much!

    • Permanent Link

    June 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by lindafay

    So glad you tried them and liked them, too!



    • Permanent Link

    June 12, 2006 - HTML

    Posted by lindafay

    Canada Girl,

    I learned by reading through the archives at the member forums and by going to the sites on my sidebar under Snazzy Weblog Resources. I didn't know anything about html six months ago! Just take chances. If you make a backup copy of your template then you don't need to worry about losing anything.

    have fun,
    linda

    • Permanent Link

    August 7, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by MarlaMom

    I love your Turkish recipes that you post. It's nice having an option when it comes to cooking; hamburger stroganoff gets a little boring after a while. LOL. Unfortunately, my husband is pretty much a American, Italian, Mexican, and Chinese food person. I went to Morocco years ago and developed a taste for the food there, but my husband hates couscous! (I don't know why - what's not to love?) Anyway, I want to add more recipes to my list that involve more veggies and meat and not so many carbs.

    • Permanent Link

    ReplyDelete