Thursday, November 02, 2006

Quick Autumn Potpourri Recipe (and apple butter)



We've been busy, busy. I've made apple butter almost every autumn for the last eighteen years. I especially like it because I found a recipe that doesn't require the apples to be peeled.

Confession: I jealously guard my precious stash and if some of my friends receive a jar from me, they are special, indeed. Shhh... don't tell on me. I am trying to indoctrinate, brainwash pass the family tradition down to my children. (not the hoarding, but making the apple butter)  

I still have fond memories of family reunions at my grandparent's Tennessee farm where the apple butter simmered in a huge black cauldron near the orchard throughout the night while the adults took turns stirring the pot. There's nothing like the smell of cinnamon and apples.

Unpeeled Apple Butter Recipe
12 cups firm and tart chopped apples (do not peel them)
3/4 cup apple cider or water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
Combine apples and cider in 3 qt pot (a slow cooker or heavy pot is best)
Cook covered on low for approx. 8 hours.
Stir frequently. The time is approximate. Some apples are juicier than others. You may have to add some water if it gets too dry early in the cooking process. They must cook until they are thick and no longer runny. When thick enough, add sugar and spices and cook for another hour very low. Puree with a blender or hand blender. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Share with others sparingly. :- ) 

Quick Autumn Potpourri Recipe: If you want your house to smell like autumn fruit and spices, drop a cinnamon stick in a small sauce pan with a lemon peel and a quartered orange or tangerine. If you have whole cloves, add a couple along with a bay leaf. Cover with water and let it simmer all day. Add more water when it gets low. The smell is wonderful. I often do this when company is coming or on the weekends. Ooh. I've inspired my own self this time. I'm off to put a pot on...

1 comment:

  1. previous commentors29.12.06

    November 2, 2006 - Ooohh! Yummy.

    Posted by jewls2texas

    Can you share your recipe - or is it a "family secret"? I've tried to find one to no avail.

    • Permanent Link

    November 2, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by reformingmama

    I just got back from the store, and picked up a lemon and orange while I was there for this very thing. Mmm... can't wait! I'm headed to the kitchen to get this simmering now.
    Thanks for the tip~!
    ~Stacy

    • Permanent Link

    November 2, 2006 - Yum!

    Posted by AussieinAmerica

    I've never made apple butter but I have always wanted to. I think I will this year. You inspired me to try it. It must be good for you to hoard it! :)
    Hope you are having a great week
    Stacy

    • Permanent Link

    November 3, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by Jocelyndixon


    I just wanted to stop by and say Mara Aure! I was unable to comment last time so I'm catching up... I hope to see you in Lorien soon!

    Sincerely,

    Edhël ó Loriën

    Read my latest posts: Pride or Prejudice?

    Daughter of JacqueDixon, and sister of SuperAngel, Tigerlily and Young Man in Training


    • Permanent Link

    November 3, 2006 - Unpeeled Apple Butter Recipe

    Posted by lindafay

    12 cups firm and tart chopped apples (no need to peel them)
    3/4 cup apple cider or water
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves

    Combine apples and cider in 3 qt pot (a slow cooker or heavy pot is best)
    Cook covered on low for approx. 8 hours. Stir frequently. The time is approximate. Some apples are juicier than others. You may have to add some water if it gets too dry early in the cooking process. They must cook until they are thick and no longer runny.
    When thick enough, add sugar and spices and cook for another hour very low.
    Puree with a blender or hand blender.
    Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
    Share with others sparingly. :- )


    • Permanent Link

    November 3, 2006 - smells

    Posted by Jimmie

    It's amazing what smells can do to you. My very clever mother in law would spray cleaner into the air when company unexpectedly drove into the driveway. The SMELL of clean made everything seem to look cleaner too! :-)

    Baking bread is always my favorite smell. Oh, coffee is good too. And Thai fragrant rice. Then there's anything chocolate...... :-)

    • Permanent Link

    November 4, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by Ringbearer

    Well, Mom,

    You certainly won't have to worry about ME forgetting your apple-butter recipe! It's too good to live without!

    With you on the Quest,
    You Dear Daughter, (Frodo)

    • Permanent Link

    November 6, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by Rebeca

    I made your autumn potpourri on thursday and we got to enjoy it for a couple of days! thanks for sharing the recipe= very yummy and cozy smells/
    Rebeca

    • Permanent Link

    November 7, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by lindafay

    I'm glad you tried it. Speaking of fall... everyone should visit Rebeca's blog and sample her fall recipes and ideas. I am going to do the cream cheese and pumpkin for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete