Sunday, April 02, 2006

Book Tag, I'm It

I’ve been tagged by Fire In Mine Ears and the subject concerns one’s reading habits. I would like to take this survey again in about five years after my children are a little older and I have more time to read what I like.

Here goes:

1. How many hours a day do you spend reading? Probably at least two or three, but most of it is time spent proofreading my children’s books and computer reads.

2. How fast do you read? It depends on the book. For some, I speed read, others I read slowly and savor.

3. What is your favorite book?Impossible to answer, I have many loves, but my favorite STORY is ‘The Light Princess’ by MacDonald because of the love allegory (Christ and the Church).

4. Who is your favorite author? Dallas Willard, Mortimer Adler, Charles Dickens, John Piper, C.S Lewis, George MacDonald…That’s NOT a fair question.

5. What is your favorite action/adventure novel?Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor is a literary delight and Robinson Crusoe by Defoe satisfies the wandering, adventure spirit within me. And I’m trying to like the Waverly novels because Charlotte Mason says that I should.

6. What is your favorite mystery novel?I don’t usually read mysteries, but Sherlock Holmes is up there. I want to read Tey’s books, sometime.

7. What is your favorite romance novel? Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

8. What is your favorite character novel?Little Women by Alcott

9. What is your favorite fantasy/sci-fi novel?
The Lord of the Rings, hands down

10. What is your favorite history book? I like Paul Johnson’s books, so far, but have a long unread list of others in front of me.

11. What is your favorite biography?The two- volume biography of Hudson Taylor by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
And on my to read list: Life and Work of Theodore Roosevelt by Thomas Russell

12. What is your favorite other non-fiction book?Another impossible one to answer: The Mother’s Book by Mrs. Child, The Sacred Romance by John Eldridge, Hearing God by Dallas Willard, Reforming Education by Adler, and many, many more…

13. What is your favorite play?I like ‘The Tempest’ simply for the sheer imagination in it, but I like ‘Much Ado about Nothing’ for the meanings behind it.

14. What is your favorite of the genres mentioned in questions 5-12?History and Fantasy are tied.

15. What is your favorite type of character?
Wise and loving, noble, standing against the tide of opinion

16. If you could host a party with 7 literary characters, who would they be and why?
Aslan-because He’s the King!
Mary Poppins- She is witty and imaginative
Pollyanna- because she is Joy, perfected
Puck from Puck’s Hill- because he will let me in on the Past’s secrets
Elisabeth Bennett- she is intelligent and noble, and many of us can identify with her struggles to understand others
Katherina- she personifies the struggle all women face with happy submission.
Maybe she could give us some insight.
The Princess Irene from The Princess and Curdie- because all parties need riddles

17. Do you like film adaptations of books? If so, which is your favorite? Which is your least?No, not usually. I liked Old Yeller, BBC production of Kidnapped! (and Pride and Prejudice) I like LOTR too.

18. Who is your literary role model?I’ve been reading too many children’s books lately to answer that question now.

19. Which literary house would you like most to live in?
Bilbo Baggin’s Hobbit Shire and home or the Tree house of Swiss Family Robinson. The runner up is Green Gables.

20. Which literary couple would you like most for parents?Ralph Moody’s parents from Little Britches

21. Pick 3 literary characters you would like to have as siblings.Elisabeth Bennett, Jane Eyre, Pollyanna

22. Who is your favorite literary villain?
Captain Nemo of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea

23. Name a character that most people dislike, but that you do not. Why do you like them?
Well, both Fire in Mine Ears and The Common Room have picked Fannie Price of Mansfield Park. It’s been a few years since I read that one and now my interest is perked as to why they chose her. I will have to get that novel down again…

24. Which minor character deserves a book all to themselves, in your opinion?Hmmmmm…… still thinking

25. Which character do you identify most with in literature? Penelope of Homer’s Odyssey, because she was so faithful and strong. Faithfulness is maybe my greatest strength.

26. If you could go into a novel, which one would it be and why?Narnia, of course, but, I will gladly enter any one that has a happy ending.

27. Do you prefer hardback or paperback?Hardback, but I’ll take anything I can get

28. Do you like dustcovers?Only if it is hiding an ugly book.

29. Do you like introductions, forwards, afterwards, and appendices?Not really, but always skim them unless I come across a good ‘un.

30. Do you like reading literary criticism?When I have the time and value the individual’s opinion

31. Do you like new or used books? What about ex-library?
I like them all. Lately I’ve been able to frequent the popular HAY-ON-WYE book town in South Wales and have found a few gems for pennies. Yippee. (My daughter actually found a first edition of Tennyson’s poems published while he was still living. She paid 4 pounds for it.)

32. Are you likely to buy new books without having read them, or would you buy a used copy (or check it out from the library) to see if it is good or not?I usually don’t buy a book unless it has been recommended to me by someone who’s opinion I trust. There are no English libraries here, sadly.

33. Name 3 - 7 books that you rarely see on people's favorite book lists, that are high on your own.
Fenelon The Seeking Heart
Jostein Gaarder Sophie’s World
The Giver by Lois Lowry

34. Which is your least favorite book of those that are considered "classics"?This is not a classic but highly recommended by many. I hate it. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Smith (?forgot the author, threw mine out)

35. Do you like books read aloud, or do you prefer silent reading?both, but no one will read to me.

36. When you read, do you see things in your mind like a movie, or just in vague pictures?Vague pictures, but they move :0

37. Do you like to read in silence, or with background noise/music? Silence is golden.

38. Can you read in the car without getting carsick? no, : (

39. Do you go to booksales?When I visit America or England, I spend most of my free time in used bookshops.

40. Name one literary quirk of yours.I easily forget what I read and that is why I am having a hard time answering these questions. I have to read the book every few years to keep it fresh in my mind. Oh yes, I also throw out anything that doesn’t make the grade of at least a C on my literary scale, no matter how much I paid for it.

1 comment:

  1. previous commentors29.12.06

    April 2, 2006 - Kindred spirits

    Posted by MorningGlory

    Ahhhh....so neat to read over your answers and see that they are so similar to what mine would have been!!! I have been reading your blog for a few weeks and have just been so encouraged and inspired. I think we might be kindred spirits if we ever chance to meet! Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry was so beautiful and inspirational to me that it was the highlight of my classroom when I taught public school (4th and 5th grades.) We spent weeks on it and they all loved it!!! You have read many books that I haven't yet, so I'm going to glean some to read over the next few months. Sacred Romance is one my NJ kindred spirit recommended as well. Pollyanna, Mary Poppins and Jane Eyre have all been favorite "friends" of mine...and I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in 8th grade. I remember nothing of it except that I really liked it. I think I'll pull that out again! Thanks so much for blogging. Can I add you to my friends list?



    April 3, 2006 - Book Suggestion

    Posted by sprittibee

    :) One of my favorites is "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. She used to be a steamy romance novelist and became a Christian and started writing Christian fiction. I tell everyone about the book. My sister gave it to me and it took me a year to finally pick it up... and only a day and a half to read it... I couldn't put it down.



    April 3, 2006 - reply



    Morning Glory, thanks for leaving such a the warm comment. I am happy you are finding helpful ideas.

    Of course I would be honored to be on your friends list. I will add you to mine, as well.

    Sprittibee,
    Thanks for leaving the book tip. I will have to take a look at it.

    higher up and further in,
    linda

    Edited by lindafay on April 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM

    • Permanent Link • Edit • Delete

    April 4, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by FireInMineEars

    I loved your answers to the book tag! So many of your favorites are mine as well.

    ReplyDelete