Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Music is the Spice of Life

Our family really enjoys music. Background music can be heard most of the time in our home while we ‘do our living’ and the choices are always appropriate to the task at hand. In the mornings, during lessons, beautiful ‘thinking’ music from a great composer or a hymn is usually playing.

Then we have the lively afternoon ‘work’ music that accompanies lunch preparation and chores. Anything fast and furious fits here. Riverdance, Rich Mullins, Bruce Cockburn, Lost Dogs, Hothouse Flowers and Keith Green are some of our children’s frequent choices that fit right in with the swishing of the feather duster and the sweeping of the floors.

Afternoon quiet times are just that-QUIET. No noise, no music.

Right before dinner, one can here lovely strains of ‘practice’ music coming from the family keyboard as one of our aspiring young musicians practice, practice, practice.

Then we have our ‘dinner’ music category. Relaxing instrumental music accompanies the preparation and eating of the evening meal -Parking’s classical guitar, Fogelburg or folksongs from the The Brothers Four and others.

In the evenings, my kiddies like to dance to ‘worship’ music and often Yours truly and her beau join in.

Now, ‘bedtime’ music is chosen with utmost care, usually by my two eldest daughters who are very particular about the mood they desire while drifting off to Sleepland. Lord of the Rings, Enya, Braveheart or Les Miserables win most of the time and only certain tracks from these make the cut.

We feel deep pity for those who have not yet discovered that ‘music is the spice of life.’


one step at a time...





original post 5/06

1 comment:

  1. previous commentors3.1.07

    May 27, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by barbieheart

    What a beautiful post! Number one, I would give a "thumbs up" to your choices!

    Writing about your daughters' bedtime music made me misty-eyed for a moment. (I have six grown children), when they were in high school/college, we had LARGE Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables phases. One sweet memory is of senior and junior sons dressing for Prom, singing "At the end of the day your a little bit older" (do I have the words right?) a capella.

    You have "practice music" before supper. I had multiple "choir" kids doing harmonies.'

    I only have two at home, one is a Ballet girl, one a Guitar boy. (do get to hear the practice on that one.) But my husband plays guitar, so our "worship" music is often Live.

    I just may have to blog about this--I'm getting excited!

    • Permanent Link

    May 27, 2006 - I pray....

    Posted by Canadagirl

    you continue to sing and make music in your heart , always. This was so beautiful. I too love to play my classical music alot. I should expand more . I recommend to check out the Cottars ( young Canadian Celtic musicians from Cape Breton in Nova Scotia ) I got to see them live and it was amazing jigs ! God bless and may your feet keep moving to "His" beat.
    -Canadagirl

    • Permanent Link

    May 27, 2006 - What an artist you are!

    Posted by ihopeyoudance

    What a beautiful life you've built for your family! I often think that one of the most artistic things a person can do is to recreate beauty in the lives of their loved ones day after day... to quote Vincent Van Gogh "The more I think about it the more I realize that there is nothing more artistic than to love others."



    • Permanent Link

    May 28, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by carrielouise

    I wholeheartedly agree!! I have been so happy that my children have picked up on my husband and I's eclectic taste in music. It does my heart good to share such a wonderful thing with them. Carrie

    • Permanent Link

    May 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by lindafay

    Such fun comments, this morning! May all of us have many more days ahead with His gift of music framing our days!

    • Permanent Link

    May 31, 2006 - :)

    Posted by reformingmama

    Linda,
    I had to grin when I read this post...
    My husband has been folding the laundry this morning and listening to Lost Dogs. :) I read your post aloud to him and he commends your musical taste!
    ~Stacy

    • Permanent Link

    June 1, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by humpty

    We listen to all kinds of music, children's songs, folk songs, classical, contemporary, country, Christian cont. and worship, hymns, cultural, some opera, some classic rock and roll.

    Last week we were studying Australia and we were singing, Kookaburra, Tie Me Kangaroo Down, and Waltzing Matilda.

    When we were studying farm animals (he's just in K) we sang Old McDonald, Turkey in the Straw...

    My point is, the two tunes that he most hums are Claire de Lune and The Blue Danube Waltz. He's in Kindergarten. He loves all music, but the good stuff just sticks. (If the children are exposed to it - that is the real issue.)

    • Permanent Link

    June 2, 2006 - I love this post

    Posted by ThreeLittleLadies

    I'm gonna have to get more serious about intentional music exposure. We only brought, gulp, 3 CD's with us. We are getting pretty tired of them, but enjoy them once in a while still. I think I might use your list as a starting point to build up our music library. My dh and I both love music, but tend to stick to the same genres...Christian contemporary or worship music. Time to spread our wings! Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete