Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm Back- and a Helpful Little Grammar Quiz

Hello, Everyone! I'm back from the holidays and we had a lovely time with family and friends. I do hope that you had a refreshing break from some of the life's duties. My children wowed us with their theatrical production of THE PRINCESS AND THE GOBLIN by George MacDonald. We also received the extended version of THE LORD OF THE RINGS from our Dear Nonie and so, we had a 13 hour marathon on New Year's Eve. Oooh! It was so fun. Our second school term began three days ago and life is back into full swing. All blog posts have now been transfered over from the old blog and it is officially defunct so please update your urls. I have emails to answer and a post or two brewing in the back of my mind which I hope to share with you soon. Meanwhile, I will leave you with a helpful little apostrophe quiz. Have a lovely day!


This is a great little quiz to give yourself and your kids (5th grade plus) to check for common errors in the use of apostrophes. I scored well, but I can tell you that I would have scored lower just a few years ago. I am learning right along with my children. My 13 year old scored 100% and my 11 year old scored 81%. It showed me her weaknesses right away and we were able to have a little apostrophe lesson on the spot.

Your Language Arts Grade: 100%



Way to go! You know not to trust the MS Grammar Check and you know "no" from "know." Now, go forth and spread the good word (or at least, the proper use of apostrophes).



Are You Gooder at Grammar?

Make a Quiz



10 comments:

  1. I only scored 90% and I thought the quiz looked easy. I was fooled.

    I have a few questions that I hope you can find the time to answer.

    What kind of technical issues did you have at homeschoolblogger? and since I don't know much about the Internet world could you tell me why I would not want to use my children's real names in my blog?

    Thanks. timbuck2mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HSB no longer allows javascript, so it erased half of my sidebar. Those scripts are what helped make my blog unique as well as provided blogroll roll ups, my sitemeter, webrings, etc...

    Concerning internet security- it seems to me that revealing your children's first names is not something to worry about as much as stating your family's last name and telling where you live. Also, I've heard that posting clear pictures is not always safe because of the cut and paste capabilities child p--n places may utilize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,
    Glad to see you back! I have been a frequent visitor here even while you were gone :)
    Would you consider posting anything regarding handwriting for the younger children? I noticed that your kindegarteners practice one letter a week on unlined paper and then move to large lined paper in Year 1. Handwriting has been more frustrating than I thought it would be. I have gone back to doing a letter each week, practising daily (short lesson). I think this is helping. Perhaps I just don't know what I should be expecting from a 5 year old. Do you have any pictures of your kids handwriting when they were 5?
    I really feel like I don't know what I am doing!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4.1.07

    Linda, i'm so glad you're back, not that you didn't deserve a vacation. I scored a 100 on the grammar quiz, I was sweating bullets at the end, lol. Can't wait to read your next post, glad you had a wonderful holiday.

    Des

    ReplyDelete
  5. Des, You are hilarious! Thanks for the warm welcome, too.

    Stacy, Hi. Great to hear from you again. My short answer to your question is DON'T WORRY about dear daughter's handwriting at this early age. Neatness is not important. Handwriting is not important. Most kids are unable to write well at five years of age and they may learn to hate handwriting because mom pushed them beyond their interest or capabilites. Just get her to draw a fairly large Aa upper and lower case on a piece of paper. If it looks like an A, that's enough. If she is being careless on purpose, you will know and then you can make her tidy it up a bit. But don't be fussy. Okay, that wasn't a short answer. I'll try to make a post on it next week and show a sample or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Linda.
    I appreciate you answering my question. I feel better already.
    Now I think her handwriting is pretty good :)
    I forgot to come over here and thank you for visiting my blog. It was so nice to hear from you.
    Your blog was the first I ever read and the one that inspired me to start my own.
    Hope you have a great day.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the grammar quiz! I'm so proud to say that my 12- and 13-year olds got 100% as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. g.l.h., Impressive! But not fair. You are a veteran homeschooler with graduates. This qualifies you to be an expert in grammar. Sorry, but you are DISQUALIFIED! Your children, however, may wear your crown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I scored a 100% as well. Fun quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I scored 100% as well but you would never know it by reading my blog. I do not pay attention to grammar, even though I know it, when I am blogging.

    ReplyDelete