Monday, October 02, 2006

Book Thingamajig

TeamNewman tagged me awhile back and I am just getting around to answering this book 'meme' thingamajig (Eek! I cringe to type that word. In Turkish, it means a very personal body part.).

1. One book that changed your life

There are two that dramatically changed my life- The Light Princess by George MacDonald and Desiring God by Piper


2. One book that you've read more than once: only one?

I think this question should be 'One book that you've NOT read more than once.' That is easier for me to answer. It would be Kim by Kipling. It was just too tedious for me. One of my daughters loves it and the other hates it, too. To each his own...


3. One Five books you'd want on a deserted island:

Besides the Book of all books, Back to Basics, to keep me comfortable, A Complete Field Guide to all Living things, (It hasn't been written yet) to satisfy my curiosity, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, to feed my imagination, Dark Night of the Soul, to help me keep my perspective and Pollyanna, to help me see the bright side of the situation


4. One book that made you laugh:

Cheaper by the Dozen


5. One book that made you cry:

Little Women; it still does.


6. One book that you wish had been written:

That field guide I mentioned up there.


7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Anything in the HORROR genre


8. One book that you are currently reading:

Valley of Vision


9. One book that you've been meaning to read:

of the Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis


10. One book you've been meaning to finish:

Shaping History through Prayer and Fasting


11. One book on your desk right now?

Ivanhoe


12. One book with a bookmark in it that you haven't picked up for a few days?

Beowulf


13. One book marked with a pencil (or other irregular marker) stuffed between the pages instead of a proper bookmark?

Ha! I use pencils occasionally, bookmarks and torn scraps of paper when I run out and I pencil in most of my books. The latest would be Whatever Happened to Penny Candy.


14. One book with the cover falling off, or other grievous injuries?

My beloved Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever. Ahh... a family favorite.


15. One book you "ought" to be reading, but don't feel like it?

The Pilates Power House (while exercising my little ole' self. But here I sit on my derrière answering this book thingamajig.)


16. One book sitting on the shelf and enticing you to read it instead of anything else?

My Charlotte Mason Series. I've always read them off of the computer, but recently my dear friend had them printed for me as a present.


17. Your most recently acquired book?

Moby Dick in Turkish


18. One book on your "wish list?"

Heart and Mind: What the Bible Says about Learning by Ruth Beechick


19. One book you literally threw in the trash?

I have no qualms with throwing away inferior literature. But once a well meaning acquaintance went out and spent about $100.00 in books for my daughters. She gave us a stack of about 30 books of juvenile fiction. Later I had to throw every single one out. Every one was twaddle of the worst degree. It was pretty painful. The covers were so pretty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment