Friday, May 19, 2006

He Says it so Well

Douglas Gresham, step-son of C.S. Lewis, on Homeschooling:

"Homeschooling and why I advocate it is not a matter of whether the schools are good or bad, though obviously I would rather children went to good schools than to bad ones, if go to school they must. It is that, as someone who has been trained and works in the field of post-childhood abuse trauma, and has devoted considerable thought to the mattter, I have formed the opinion that the entire concept of school is flawed. In fact, it is a terrible mistake.

Look what we do: we observe what God has designed, a pair of parents, one of each sex, and two pairs of grandparents, often with a few aunts and uncles thrown in. In fact, a Family. This is the unit designed by God Himself for the specific purpose of ministry of raising each new generation.

Then what do we do? We take the child and remove him from this carefully designed support group of parents and close family members, all of whom share a genetic bond with the child, and plunge him into a mass group of his peers, all of whom are as ignorant and as demanding as he is, with one adult stranger supervising. In terms of the psycho-emotional development of the child, this is complete madness.

A child is best nurtured by having the one-on-one attention from each of the two parents for a specific period of time each day. Ideally, a child should be homeschooled by both parents sharing the task equally, though I do realize that this is not always possible. Bear in mind that I am not referring to idiotic parents, criminal parents, drug-addicted parents, or self-indulgent, self-obsessed parents, nor to anyone else who should never be graced (in my view, not God's, of course) with progeny in the first place. I am referring to normal, well-adjusted, good parents.
And with our modern habits of sending children away from their home and families for the better part of every day these [well-adjusted parents] are becoming more and more scarce as the vast majority of people are damaged or scarred emotionally and intellectually themselves by being exiled from their home and parents and placed in the hands of strangers at a young age.

It is a trans-generational progression exacerbated by the fact that those who are damaged very often are not even aware of it. If I had known back then what I know now, my children would never have gone to school until they were at least 18 years old. Satan hates what God loves and God loves us, Mankind. The basic unit of Mankind is the family, so Satan has targeted the Family, and he has been pretty successful, mostly by using 'good intentions.' I think that 'School' is one of his very clever inventions. As far as I am concerned, schools are for fish."

1 comment:

  1. previous commentors3.1.07

    May 19, 2006 - I love it!

    Posted by Phyllis

    "Schools are for fish." Hee hee. :-)

    • Permanent Link

    May 19, 2006 - I'm glad we HS

    Posted by Canadagirl

    I am so glad when I first got married the church my husband and I went to in Burnaby, BC, Canada there were 3 HS families there. Growing up there was only one HS family I knew of. But even then is was a mystery to me. As we got to know the families and I had my first son I started to really talk to these families and ask all kinds of questions. Like" What is HSing all about? How do you home school ? How in the world do you start?
    then I asked the kids " Do you like to HS ? ( they all said YES , good answer.) So from birth on we have stayed together as a family. When I went to my first Homeschool support group I approched a HS book bussiness and asked the lady what is the book I should buy if I only bought one book tonight? She showed me " For the Childs Sake " by Susan MacClauly( I think that is the Author- I lent it out so I can't copy the spelling) That started my whole journey with Charlotte Mason.( thank goodness )
    I now want to get this book , this put it so well what I feel about why we should homeschool.
    In Him,
    -Canadagirl

    • Permanent Link

    May 20, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by Leslie

    I have been enjoying your blog very much! Thank you for all of the encouragement your post.

    • Permanent Link

    May 20, 2006 - Yep. I think that is well said.

    Posted by ThreeLittleLadies

    In the midst of the day to day, this is such a good reminder of what it is all about.

    • Permanent Link

    May 24, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by carrielouise

    Wow. I'm so glad I stopped by your blog to visit. His writing sounds so much like Lewis himself. I had no idea Gresham felt that strongly about it. Carrie

    • Permanent Link

    May 25, 2006 - Untitled Comment

    Posted by lindafay

    I enjoyed reading your comment, Canada Girl. You are fortunate to have found CM ideas from the get go.

    Thanks for visiting, Carrie, and commenting. I know their are a lot of lurkers because Mr. Sitemeter says so. It's nice to get feedback so I know better what visitors want to read about.

    Leslie, do you have a blog?

    Threelittleladies, I visited your blog. So glad you are encouraged!

    higher up and further in,
    linda

    ReplyDelete