Friday, April 14, 2006

I Found a Pearl

My mother used to make 14 loaves of bread every 2 weeks. Following in her footsteps (well, sort of), I have made bread for my family on a regular basis. We don’t have nice wholesome choices at our local market. There is only one kind--white French bread. Many families buy up to ten loaves A DAY. That seems like a lot, but when you open a loaf, you realize it is mostly air.

Last year, while visiting America, I noticed that bread machines had become a common home appliance and they were quite affordable. I began to dream of owning one over here and started scouring the shops. The cheapest I could find was $250.00. I just couldn’t pay that knowing they were available for $50.00 in the States. Well, I held out and am proud to say that I am now the proud owner of a bread machine. I did not find it for the US price, but I did find it for an amount considerably cheaper than $250.00. It has been a bright spot in my day as well as a real treat for the family. The smell is heavenly, and my arms are enjoying a break from kneading. I feel blessed.



"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."


Anne of Green Gables






1 comment:

  1. previous commentors29.12.06

    April 15, 2006 - You and I both!

    Posted by flapjacks

    My Mum recently leant me her bread machine - aren't they fun! The instructions had been lost so I ask for help from an Internet group I'm on and several people posted hints and recipes. Someone even sent me her old instruction book, complete with recipes, which is compatible with my breadmaker!
    I hope you have a lot of fun with your 'pearl'!
    Alice



    April 15, 2006 - great!

    Posted by Jimmie

    I am so happy for you! What a great tool! I make homemade bread too but without a machine. :-) I remember when I found an ice cream maker for $50! I bought it. Can't believe that. It wasn't worth that, but my DH so loves ice cream, and Asia generally has terrible ice cream -- ice milk really. Hmm.. I need to pull that out and make some next week.

    ReplyDelete