Thursday, February 09, 2006

Year 1 Exams

I have tried to follow closely Charlotte Mason’s suggestions about choosing examination questions. The most important principle she stressed was that the children were to retell the events and stories learned, not parrot back one sentence answers to narrow questions. It is also important to ask questions from previous narrations. We are trying to find out what they know, not what they don’t know. My children speak into a tape recorder. I label it and file it in an examination box after listening to it over a cup of tea with headphones. I really enjoy doing this and I do NOT transcribe. Yuck. I stay near at hand with my younger children to make sure they aren’t having any recorder problems. My older ones take the recorder in a private room and chat away. I find that they will say much more if they are alone. The older ones also gradually write out their answers so that by seventh grade they are no longer using the recorder.

1ST YEAR EXAMINATION QUESTIONS (for a child 6 to 8 yrs old)

TERM 1

HISTORY/GEOG
Child’s History of the World
1. Show me where Mesopotamia was on the map of the world. Where is Egypt?
2. You may tell me what you remember about Sumer, OR an Egyptian Pharaoh OR Hammurabi.
3. Tell me about the Jewish Passover holiday OR about one of the judges of Israel.
4. Can you put the timeline cards in order?

This Country of Ours
5. You may tell me what you can remember about Leif the Lucky, Christopher Columbus OR Amerigo Vespucci.

Paddle To the Sea
6. Show me the route that Paddle to the Sea took and tell me about one of his adventures. Make sure you name all the great lakes.

TALES
Grimm’s Fairytales/Book of Virtues/Aesop’s Fables
7. Tell a short fairy story OR one of Aesop’s fables

Just So Stories
8. How did the Camel get its hump?

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare
9. Which story from Shakespeare was your favorite? What was it about? Why did you like it?

MUSIC/ART APPRECIATION
10. Listen to this piece of music and tell me about it. Who composed it?
11. Can you name some of the paintings we studied this term. Who painted them? Which one was your favorite? Why?

WRITING
12. Copy ‘Fern loved Wilbur more than anything.’ in your best handwriting.

MATH
13. If I have ten guests coming for dinner but only six clean forks, how many more will I need to wash?
14. Show me three ways to use coins to count out your allowance of $1.00

POETRY
A Child’s Garden of Verse
15.What is the name of the poet we studied this term? What are his poems about? Which one was your favorite? Why?

SCIENCE/NATURE
16. You may tell me how a tree is made OR how a coin is made.
17. What can you tell me about a cicada?
18. How can I know that an animal is a mammal?

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
18. Tell me about this picture in _______________.

RECITATION/READING
20. Recite a poem and a Scripture passage.


TERM 2

HISTORY/GEOG
Child’s History of the World
What do you know about the Phoenicians?
What can you tell me about the Spartans?
What can you tell me about the Babylonians?
How did Rome get started?
Tell the story of Naaman
Put the timeline cards from this term in order.

This Country of Ours
Tell me what you know about Sir Walter Raleigh.
Using this map of the world, draw the routes that 3 explorers took to the New World from the Old World and write their names on their routes.

Tree in the Trail
Using this map of the United States, draw the Santa Fe Trail and any names you remember along the way.
Describe a travois
Describe a buffalo hunt

TALES
Grimm’s Fairytales/Child’s Book of Virtues
Tell a short fairy story

Aesop’s Fables
Tell one of Aesop’s fables.

Just So Stories
Tell me about the Beginning of Armadillos OR The Elephant’s Child

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare
Tell the story of The Tempest or Twelfth Night.

MUSIC/ART APPRECIATION
Listen to this piece of music and tell me the name of it and who composed it.
Can you name some of the paintings we studied this term and who painted them? Which one was your favorite? Why?

WRITING
Copy ‘But Laura was happiest of all. Laura had a rag doll.’ in your best handwriting.

MATH
Solve these problems in your head:
If I planted 10 flower seeds and only 6 came up how many seeds were bad.
Count to 100 by 1’s and by 5’s.
Are these problems equal? 2+5 and 7-0
Complete a timed addition test

RECITATION/READING
Recite a poem, a Psalm, and a Scripture passage.
Read a passage I will show you from your McGuffy reader. Use your best reading voice.

POETRY
When We Were Very Young/ Now We are Six
Which poem from A.A. Milne was your favorite? Why?

SCIENCE/NATURE
Please name six kinds of flowers and describe them and their leaves to me
What can you tell me about ants?

Everyday Things
Describe the water cycle?

SINGING
Sing a folksong and a hymn that you learned this term.

MUSIC
Play two songs you learned on your musical instrument.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Tell about a picture I will show you in___________.

DRAWING
How to Draw Dinosaurs/How to draw Horses
You may draw a dinosaur or a horse

TERM 3

HISTORY/GEOG
Child’s History of the World
I’m going to give you a map of the world and I would like you to label all the countries you know.
Please tell me about the Battle of Marathon.

This Country of Ours
What do you know about the Puritans and Separatists?
Compare Governor William Bradford of Plymouth with Governor William Berkeley of Virginia.
How were the Pilgrims different from the Explorers who came to America?

Seabird
Seabird mentions various kinds of ships that have been invented. What can you tell me about them?
You may draw some of them.

TALES
Just So Stories
Choose one of these tales from Kipling and tell me about it: The Crab, The Cat

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare
Which of these two tales from Shakespeare did you like the best? Cymbeline or Romeo and Juliet. Tell me all that you can remember about your favorite one.
Does it have a moral like Aesop’s Fables? What is it?

MUSIC/ART
Can you name the paintings we studied this term and who painted them? Describe your favorite? Why?

INSTRUMENT
Play a song from your recorder

SINGING
Sing a folksong and a hymn.

SCIENCE/NATURE
Tell a story from James Herriot’s Treasury.

RECITATION/READING
Choose a passage for child to read

POETRY
What poet did we study this term? Tell me about one of his poems.

MATH
Addition speed test and workbook test

WRITING
Choose a passage for child to write.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Read ___________ (in foreign language being studied) and narrate to mom in English.

5 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for months now and have gleaned so very much! thank you!! I would like to ask you why you give exams to the younger grades. What do you do with the information that they give you? If they don't seem to remember much, do you do anything about that, ie. read something again or simply realize which children need more encouragement or narrations? I guess I don't really understand why the need for exams when they have already narrated. I would love some more information on this please. Thank you and blessings to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the length of time that has passed since the above comment was made, I'm wondering if this will be read, but it's worth a shot!

    I just posted a comment on another entry gushing on and on about how wonderful you are for following CM's exam methods so carefully. I asked if you started them as early as Miss Mason did - Year One. And, look! You do!! Lindafaye, you're a rock and, as a younger mom, I'm very thankful for the awesome posts you put up :)

    Thanks!!!!!
    Jacci

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted a comment here, Jacci. I've never seen the above comment before until now. I guess blogger never made it to my mailbox. Thanks for the compliments. I'm blushing. :0 Just glad this post is of some help to you.

    Warmly,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm linking to this post for one of my commenters tonight :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello--I hope this is OK, it just occurred to me that I probably should have asked your permission first! I linked to this post in answer to someone on the Yahoo AmblesideOnline Year 1 group who was asking about exams for year 1. I love your blog. I am about to start with Year 1 with my oldest boy and I think the things you have in here will be extremely helpful to me. Thank you for all your hard work and information!

    ReplyDelete